About Me

My photo
Hi. Welcome to my "taboo" blog. My name is Steph, and when I first started this, I was still in my thirties. In 2017, I switch decades! I am a Christian, so underlying everything I do and say is the Word of God, and the foundational truths I have learnt over the years. This doesn't mean I'm perfect - I am human. It just means I recognise I need God's help to live this life and try to live out His way, as best I can. So that's me in a nutshell. Thanks for taking the time to read through my blog, I hope you draw strength, hope or encouragement from what you read.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Food Won't Build My Faith...But Here's Food For Thought

Tonight's paper is carrying a story which every woman who has been TTC for a long time is well aware of!! Shock-horror... A woman's diet prior to conception has an impact on conception itself as well as on the development of the baby!!


Science finally catches up!!

I have tried literally every dietary advice I have ever read in papers, magazine articles and on the internet... Taken vitamins, supplements, tried a herbal diet, an acid-free diet and I'm currently on a gluten-free diet!! All in the name of TTC!!

Why do I get sucked into these fads and, "it worked for that couple, maybe it'll work for me" ideologies?? I can tell you why. And it doesn't take science, or a study, or an examination. It's because I'm well aware, as many other women who are struggling to conceive, of the impact of what we put into our bodies on the development of our eggs, and of the womb lining. I never used to eat steaks, but now I try to have at least one a week because of the high iron content. I try to avoid processed food, in order to give my body as much natural source of nutrients as I can through what I eat. The more it resembles how God created it, the happier I feel about eating it.

Rachel, in the bible understood the importance of the food she ate, and of how some foods do seem to have an impact on fertility. She begged her rival older sister to give her some mandrakes one of her sons had found, that she might eat them, and have a child of her own. Genesis 30:14. Rachel wasn't acting in faith in God here, she was putting her faith in the 'power of the plant'. She thought by eating the mandrakes, she would be able to conceive.

That's not why I have changed what or how I eat.

God is the creator of my body, the way it works, the way it absorbs what it needs from what I put into it, and discards the junk. So by eating less processed food I'm hoping my body will work as God originally intended for it to work.

But the main reason for changing my diet is to combat the helpless I have felt about this Journey for Bubba. By making conscious choices about what I'm eating, I hope to give my body a better chance to response each month, I feel like I'm being pro-active in this walk. I hate feeling completely helpless, and by having some kind of control over what I eat, I hope that God will see the practical steps I have taken, and will one day bring the miracle I so long for.

I once heard it said, "before God can do the impossible, we have to do the possible." When the four men lowered their friend in through the roof at Jesus' feet, they had done all they could physically do. They carried him, they made a hole in the roof and lowered him to where Jesus was teaching. Jesus's response to their possibilities was to do the impossible - heal their friend.

This is my small act of doing what is possible, trusting God that He will one day, as He has done for so many women over the centuries, bring about what is impossible. The miracle of Bubba. Until then...I'll enjoy a few more steaks!


Father God, help me to not look at food as the source of my miracle, but as something to aid my body as I wait on You. I pray you would lead me when I eat, that I won't eat what is harmful to what You created, and will one day create, but that I will eat the right foods at the right time of the month according to what You know I need at each stage of my Journey. From the egg's maturity, to release, to strength in the lining. May the right egg be perfected, ready to be fertilised by the right sperm from Hubby. May everything be perfect in its time Lord. In Jesus name I pray.


No comments: